Saturday, January 05, 2008

Debbie Downer


I was speaking with a co-worker yesterday. He's lamenting the fact that he's turning 30 this week and has to spend the whole weekend at a marriage counseling session, from Friday night to Sunday, bunking in a dorm with other would-be grooms, sharing one bathroom. Though I did empathize with him in that it must be a drag to spend the whole weekend proving that one is ready for marriage, I put the most positive twist possible on it.

I then shared my "wisdom" about turning thirty (and being married): I said to him: "I am much happier with my life after I turned thirty and being married, than when I was in my 20's and single."

His response: "This is because you have less time to live on the planet and you feel that you have to enjoy the little time you have left."

After I laughed at him, I called him "Debbie Downer" and asked him if he's ever seen the SNL skit. He said he hadn't. So, this is for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/#mea=32806



No comments: