Monday, March 03, 2008

Nikolai Lives

About a month ago, I posted about Nikolai Volkoff. If you want some background, click here.

This morning, I arrived in Timonium, Maryland, for one of my visits. About fifteen minutes into the day, I see the woman who owns the gym above the office where I often visit. I didn't think too much of it, so I basically ignored her since I do not work there every day. I would let someone else handle her question. Then I heard it:

Nikolai is here.

Nikolai Freaking Volkoff. To most, this means nothing. To me, this means a lot. I watched this guy EVERY Saturday morning when I was a kid.

At first, it seemed that the guys at the office were a little shy. No one was making his way across the long office. I immediately thought that an awkward moment was about to present itself. The gym owner had said she'd bring Nikolai down when he returned from Iraq (visiting the troops). Now the time had come. He was in the office and no one moved. I jumped from my chair and walked quickly across the room.

"Hi, I am Matt. It is very nice to meet you. I watched you all the time when I was younger (I didn't say 'when I was a kid' cause I didn't want him to feel old). Thanks for coming down to see us. I am a very big fan of yours."

Twenty seconds later, he was surrounded by everyone in the office. He had a couple of jokes which landed and happily answered questions from the fellas. Any hint of awkwardness was out the door.

He looked old, but still strong. Sixty years old and can probably throw me across the room with one arm.

He took pictures with all of us. The gym owner had a camera. I didn't trust that I'd actually get the photo, so I had my friend Mike take a one with my crappy cell phone.


Within an hour, she sent us her photos.




No comments: