Thursday, July 26, 2007

Flashback: The Great New York Blackout of 2003



So, I was speaking with Vincent the other day about New York. His French Visitors are there right now, seeing the big city. Our discussion reminded me somehow of The Great New York City Black out of 2003.

I was in it. Aimee was out of town.



I walked for hours to get home. It was hot.

The photo above was taken by a fella with whom I worked, Diego. Diego was featured in an Article from Wired Magazine. He is quoted:

"Realizing he was living a historic moment, Salinas took out his camera phone, snapped photos of people walking home and uploaded the pictures to a website hosted by textamerica. While most people, including Salinas, could not make cell phone calls that afternoon, they found that Web applications, which operate on different channels on the cellular network, worked normally.

"I managed to capture five or six pictures before the battery on my phone died," Salinas said. "I will always remember that particular day. It's a historic event that has never happened before. If anyone else wants to look back in time -- my friends and family -- I will always have those five or six pictures to mark it down for them."

Doh! It did happen before in NYC: 1965 and 1977.

It's kind of interesting because the same experience he describes in the article is mine too. We walked through the streets of Manhattan until we bid farewell as he turned east on the Brooklyn Bridge. I can only describe that day as surreal. But then again, that's how I can describe all the time I lived in New York. The only seemingly normal days I spent there were the first three days I live there: September 8th, 9th and 10th...... of 2001.

Here is the full article.

Here are some great pictures of the event.





Here I am pretendig to hail a taxi.

No comments: