Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Mother's Love

Although I am experiencing feelings that I've never felt before, I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about my own mother. My parents have 4 children and Stella is their first grandchild. The Saturday that we came home from the hospital my mother and sister Emily flew in from Houtson and Chicago, respectively. They spent the next few days comforting and supporting us in our new world.

Today I found a sheet of paper folded in quarters. Almost every corner of that piece of paper was covered with menus for each day, grocery lists for those menus, lists of baby things (diapers, wipes, swaddles, etc, etc, etc), cleaning supplies and so on. Every task was checked off as completed. Each day my mother would wake up before 7am and begin a day of nonstop cooking, cleaning, shopping and support to a frassled new mother. My sister ran errands and spent her day working around our house. When I say I could not have gotten through the first week without them, it is no exaggeration. The simple thought that they were downstairs and available for advice, a hug or an extra arm was a comfort that I never anticipated. My mother and I have always had a very close relationship but I had no idea what she and my sister meant to me until they totally gave of themselves in order to make life easier for us.

Thank you's are almost not enough. I hope that one day I can be there for my sister, along with my mother and share in her own joy. For now, thank you is all I can say. A thousand times, thank you!! I love you both!!!

Aimee

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

That is so sweet. I sometimes wish that I would be giving my mom the chance to do the same thing. I'm so happy for you guys!