Thursday, October 09, 2008

Youtube Gifts

Yesterday I had the following objective: Set up security for our home wireless environment.

Without being a technical lad..or even detail oriented, I use the power of the Internets to help me. Lacking technical ability (but also lacking fear), I often set out on 'how to' goals with the help of youtube. Youtube has a million tutorials on how to do basically anything. I will demonstrate with a test. The first thing that pops in my mind right now:

How to Skate Backwards.

(leaving here for a moment, going to youtube)

I am back. Took me two seconds. See here.

Not only did I find it in two seconds, I have a new catch phrase: "Et ezn't impassaball!" This guys accent is great. See first three seconds of above vid and you'll understand.

Back to yesterday's goal. Of course I found a 'how to' on wireless security in two seconds. While watching the tutorial, I noticed that there was country song in the background of the video. I kinda like it. It is similar to most country songs as it mentions love, alchohol, God, trucks, and a country music state like Tenessee for example (this one has two: Oklahoma and West Virginia). Of course, the words are syrupy and sometimes goofy. For example:

"Like Uncle Joe in Oklahoma needs a rain" (from the song I heard)

Anyway I researched the song. The song is "I Need You" by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. It has a lot of similes as seen above. It is hokey, not too deep, and does not always make sense. I am no music snob though. Sometimes you need a country song.

Here is the original tutorial. . I view it as unintended performance art, with the way the screen changes as the music plays.

If you want to hear a better copy (sound-wise) of the song, here you go:



The question remains. Did I set up wireless security for our house? Well, I tried. I also messed up our router so that no one in our house could access the Internet. I then spent the next three hours trying to fix this mistake. After attempting five different solutions and a lame call with Comcast (Mr. Technical Service Rep, you are lay-zee), I reached the point of frustration to seriously consider going to Best Buy to purchase a new router. Before doing so, I called the help line for the router. A nice young fella in India told me "Everything's going to be okay" (like a country music song?) and helped me fix everything.

No comments: